Re: UK Imported part / buyer B-ware

To: mgman@optonline.net
Subject: Re: UK Imported part / buyer B-ware
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:38:55 -0500
Sorry, David, but I don't think you can blame the shipper.  In
international shipments it is assumed that the purchaser knows and will
take care of import duties in their respective country.  I think you'll
find that our customs tariffs are so complex that it is impossible for
anyone, much less an exporter in another country, to figure them out.
There are different tariffs for different items from different countries.
 Try browsing the tariff database at http://www.customs.treas.gov/.  Your
head will soon be swimming.

I'd look into the amount of duty you were charged, however.  I thought
there was some exemption or reduction of duty for used car parts.  The
idea being that the thing is already manufactured and used and importing
it won't take away anyone's job.  I'm not sure about this however, and
you should contact the Customs office to find out.  Maybe another lister
knows?

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD