New Carbs, idle, choke

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: New Carbs, idle, choke
From: "Phillips, Frank" <fwp@ufl.edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 13:47:48 -0500
List,

I have fitted the new carbs to my 68B. The model is AUD 278 and they replace
the AUD 265's. They work great (almost). I have two questions:

1) Choke: I've attempted to set the choke per Haynes manual but still seem
to run lean when cold. The car kick but after it get warm and the choke is
off. How far should the jet drop when the choke is pulled? I've set the fast
idle to 1000rpm as the manual states, what should the rpm be when the choke
is fully pulled?

2) I just returned from a wonderful lunch time drive! Went about 20 miles
and when returning to work the idle began to stick. A quick slip of the
throttle pedal and the idle would return to normal (900 - 1000 rpm). Any
ideas what to look at? This only started after a long drive, all worked fine
for the first 18 miles.

Thanks for the help. I plan to post pictures of the new and old carbs on my
web site in a few days.

Frank Phillips
1968 MGB
Email: fwp@ufl.edu