Re: [RE: Dodgy alternator?]

To: scott beavis <scottbeavis@mbrey.com>, paul.hunt1@virgin.net,
Subject: Re: [RE: Dodgy alternator?]
From: Matthew Trebelhorn <matttrebelhorn@netscape.net>
Date: 1 Nov 00 08:42:05 EST
> It's a 1978 MGBGT. What do you mean by 'green'? Is this the current rating
> colour code? I think there are four fuses in the fuse box. Wouldn't
supprise
> me if they are the same as on other BL cars ie: Fuse 1 = IGN pos II, 2 =
key
> out, 3 = IGN pos I, 4 = sidelights.

It means the wire is green.  There is a british standard color code for
wires, basically:

Brown=always hot, unfused
Purple=always hot, fused
white=ignition on, unfused
GREEN=IGNITION ON, FUSED
red=lights
black=ground

> >Hot idle is the real test, what's that?
>
> Not a lot. About 15-20psi. Often the OPRV is venting too soon, and a nut
> under the cap will boost Oil P by 20 or so psi. Maybe the engine is too
> worn.

Opinion: If you're getting only 15-20 psi, and you're burning 2l/300miles,
things are probably pretty worn.  You can pack the OPRV, as you describe,
but it won't cure bad bearings, etc.

Good luck sorting things out,
Matt