Re: mgb a-arms

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: mgb a-arms
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 14:30:24 -0800
All:

Although buying new parts may help eliminate the crack testing procedure, it
does not help the crack resistance.  Even new items may have hairline cracks
which can lead to early failure.  Steel shot peening improves the durability and
crack resistance of most suspension components.  Shot peening makes it "better
than new."  Crack testing alone is cheaper than new parts.  Shot peening is
"icing on the cake."  Many of us can do our own media blasting or testing for
straightness. It only takes a good straight edge, feeler gauges, time, and
perhaps a surface plate such as table saw top or drill press table.  So the only
cost is the crack testing which probably should be done for a new part, too as
you don't know were it was manufactured.

Blake