Re: Heater Knob Removal

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Heater Knob Removal
From: "R. Martin Rogovein" <rmartin@yedtech.co.il>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 13:30:31 +0200
Frank -

There was just a thread on this on the BBS - try this URL

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=mgbbs&mode=thread&access=&subj
ect=70&source=T&thread=2000110101400426750

Anyway, what I said there bears repeating:
BE CAREFUL.
If you twist and pull too much, you can break the spindle on the control,
and they are rather difficult to come by.
(Anybody out there got a spare one they want to get rid of? <G> )

My Heater knobs had been seriously DPO'ed - there were two (?!) small holes
to get to the plunger, not just one.
One of the knobs, once I gave it a few shots of wd-40 and figured out my
double-plunging technique, came right off.

With the second knob, my problem was that I couldn't feel any plunger
movement at all.
Over an hour of pushing, pulling, prodding, and prying later, the knob
popped off into my hand, taking most of the spindle from the control with
it. It had been epoxied in place, and hadn't even been placed in the proper
position on the spindle - that is, the release pin didn't even line up with
the holes.

Hope this doesn't happen to you.

Good Luck.