Re: Still more on wheel bearings

To: Michael Jose <mwjose@u.arizona.edu>
Subject: Re: Still more on wheel bearings
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 21:20:45 -0600
Hi Michael,

  If the bearings are removed, inspected, found to be servicable,
regreased and reinstalled, there's no reason for different shims,
PROVIDING the hub was properly shimmed before.  Now, since I was the one
who did my front bearings last, I know what I have in there and that
they're properly shimmed.  I can repack the bearings if I find nothing
wrong with them the next time around and just reinstall the shim
stacks.  OTOH, maybe not.  When I did them before I had to change the
thickness on one side.  Was it FWT or had the last mechanic who did the
work set it up too tight?  I suspect the latter because it seems to me
that FWT would increase the play, not the other way around.

 However, if I put in a new bearing and race, manufacturing tolerances
on the new parts being what they are it's almost guaranteed that the
new parts won't be exactly the same dimensions as the old, so I'll have
to recheck the end play and probably adjust the total thickness of the
shim stack.

  Cheers,

  CR