Re: 72 MGB front end questions

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 72 MGB front end questions
From: Robert Eiffert <reiffert@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 22:54:26 -0800
If you don't know how long the boots have be loose or torn, checking things out
would be a good idea.
On my B (65 roadster) most of the front end looked as though it had not seen a
grease gun since it made the boat trip over the Atlantic.  Opening up the rack
I discovered chips out of the  teeth in the rack, and lots of pitting on the
pinion. Dry as a bone.

I also pulled the crossmember to paint, etc. I remember starting to 'just check
the bushings'. When I was finished, I had an order list for new lower arms
(holes past just 'ovalized'), most of the bolts (outside bolt was worn through
about 1/8"), and lots of sundry bits. Real fun taking the bag of bolts and nuts
to the fastener store and asking for new ones.

Two things to watch when putting rack back in:  Make sure the steering wheel
and rack are centered before mating up with U-joint. There are shims between
the rack and mounts to line them up. If you wind up with a new rack, you'll
really need to check that. (Also make sure the SW and wheels are centered)

Second: don't push steering wheel shaft up into cockpit in fitting rack. Messes
up the horn switch if it gets pushed back down uncarefully.

There was a recent post about using floor jack to reinstall springs. Sounded
right to me. I took half a day to do one side, half an hour to do the other.

Bob

--
Bob Eiffert, Librarian at Image Elementary
http://www.ima.egreen.wednet.edu/library_home.html