RE: Main Bearing Caps MGB

To: "Bud Krueger" <bkrueger@ici.net>,
Subject: RE: Main Bearing Caps MGB
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 20:24:03 -0700
I think both of you are on the right track.  The main caps are held on by
bolts, I believe ALL the B series engines and maybe A
series engines are this way.  I think the bolt is a 5/6" fine thread.  The main
caps have a 5/16" fine thread "slide hammer hole" in
them.  Use a 5/16" fine thread bolt (I wouldn't use one of your main cap bolts
for this!) and weld it to a nut that will screw onto
your slide hammer.  You're in business.

OR you can screw one of the main bearing cap bolts into the main bearing cap
"slide hammer hole" and use your slide hammer "J" end
attachment and remove the cap.

Better check my bolt measurements before you start welding!

Larry Hoy