Re: Octane ratings

To: JustBrits@aol.com, spanlab@ceibo.entelnet.bo
Subject: Re: Octane ratings
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 01:25:05 -0600
At 08:04 PM 11/21/2000 EST, Ed <JustBrits@aol.com> wrote:
>In a message dated 11/21/2000 1:13:06 PM Central Standard Time,
>spanlab@ceibo.entelnet.bo writes:
>> <<find a true octane booster. I understand most commercial brands only
retard ignition thus fixing the pining problem. >>

Then At 09:41 AM 11/22/2000 -0800, Enrique <spanlab@ceibo.entelnet.bo> wrote:
>.... I don't mean that the fluid can mess with your dizzy :-) What I mean
is the ignition point of the gasoline is altered. e.i  combustion. I repeat
nothing to do with the cars ignition system or the dizzy.

Yeah, well guys, I was assuming right up front the the word "retard"
loosely translates to either "inhibit" or "delay".  But what I want to know
is, if an additive product does in fact inhibit or delay ignition, and in
doing so reduces pinging, then why should this not qualify as an octane
booster?  That is exactly the definition of higher octane rating, isn't it?

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg