Re: English number plates

To: "David F. Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>, "MGs List"
Subject: Re: English number plates
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 19:29:25 -0000
Other than by basic structure (i.e. letters before numbers or vice-versa)
there is little in the registration that gives you the 'when' other than the
sequential use of the digits, you have to wait until the suffix and prefix
letters came in before it gives you the year, or approximate year or part
thereof.  However the 2nd and 3rd letters usually give the registration
district, although even this goes awry as 'busy' districts borrowed unused
blocks from 'quiet' districts in the 70s and 80s.  In this case 'WK' relates
to Coventry, a city in Warwickshire in the English Midlands (and home to
Gaydon).

There is Registration info including links to various other sites on the web
site below - select 'Registrations' on the side-bar.

PaulH
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk