RE: Clutch Bleeding

To: "wcameyer" <wcameyer@email.msn.com>, "The MG List"
Subject: RE: Clutch Bleeding
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:31:56 -0600
Bill, I just replaced the clutch hydraulics on my son's 79 B last weekend.
Bleeding it was a royal pain in the a**.  What I do is get a long piece of
rubber tubing.  Place one end over the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder
and place the other end in the master cylinder.  Then you pump, and pump,
and pump, and pump and when you think  you have it right pump some more.  I
did finally get it bleed, but it sure took a lot of pumping.  Note that I
rebuilt the slave and master cylinders and also used an air line to blow and
existing fluid out of the hydraulic line.  Basically I was starting with
new, fresh fluid.  I have used this method before without rebuilding, but I
normally pump the old fluid out until it gets clear before I put the end of
the hose back into the master cylinder.

Good Luck,

Ken