Need Weber DCOE advice!

To: "'MG Mail list'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Need Weber DCOE advice!
From: "DiFede, John" <Jdifede@MediaOne.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 08:48:21 -0500
Need Weber 45 DCOE advice!

To the MGB List.

 I'm returning to the list after about four years.   I've recently changed
jobs, and now have time to review the daily postings.  I have a 1973 MGB
roadster, which I restored about eight years ago.  I had it running
perfectly on the HIF 4 carbs, but I had this Weber side draft sitting here
and, well you can guess what happened next!  Anyway here is my question.
I'm having difficulty in getting the proper idle jet.  I've researched two
Weber books, and the MGB How to Powertune book by Peter Burgess and various
Internet articles.  The consensus seems to be that the idle jet should be a
size 50, The Weber listing suggests a 50F8.   The books and articles also
state that when the proper jet is selected that the mixture screws should be
 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 turns off their seats. Anything far outside of these limits
would indicate that the idle jet is too lean or rich.  I'm got 50F8's in the
carb now, and I can only open the mixture screws < turn.  At this setting,
the car runs great.  But, based on the 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 directive, I'm
wondering if my jets are too rich.  Can anybody offer advice for a leaner
idle jet, or experience with the idle mixture screw settings?  I've tried
some 45 and 40 jets, but these are too lean.   The carb is an old 45 DCOE
type 13.

Also, I'm in the process of restoring a 1972 MGB and I am wondering if a
metal dash from a pre '68 car can be used.  Has anybody done this?  Aside
from the wiring and switchgear will the steel dash fit using the existing
hardware?   What about using the 72 gauges in the older dash, with the
exception of the oil gauge, will they fit?

One last item.  I need a windshield, hood, and right front fender for the
'72 MGB restoration. Would anybody, near Poughkeepsie, New York  have these
pieces for sale or swap?

Thanks,
John Di Fede
Jdifede@mediaone.com