What marque is that (was...etc. etc. etc.)?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: What marque is that (was...etc. etc. etc.)?
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 02:13:40 +0000
Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:

> I remember someone told a story on the list a few years ago.  He was
> at a show and there was a father and his young son looking over the
> cars.  The boy asked what kind of car that was, and the father leaned
> over to look at the hub.  He then explained to the boy that is was an
> UNDO.  (A very rare marque!)

The young school kids living next door to me used to hang over the fence
and ogle my little car whenever I was working on it outside the garage.
They took an avid interest in my racing and how I did ("huh, did you
win???") whenever I limped home after a long day at the track.

Eventually, with their mother's permission, I took each of them for an
extended drive around the block.  They were hooked (and insisted that I
beep the horn as I went past their friends place... twice).

As I headed out one day I heard the young girl say to her friend, when
asked, that the car was a GB!

I thought this was just a kid who had misheard when I told her it was an
MGB but then it dawned on me.  She had looked at the sticker abover the
rear bumper and indeed that is what it said... GB (but what is an 'M'
between friends, eh?).  I can't remember if I ever got around to telling
her that the sticker meant Great Britain, before she moved house the
next week.

Eric
'68GB MkII