SU Info (And a kick in the butt)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: SU Info (And a kick in the butt)
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:08:07 -0500
OK, first the kick in the butt. Was at dinner on friday for my wife's work's
annual xmas party. Her boss looked at me and said "Oh yeah, how's that MGB?"

Before I could say anything my wife chimed in with "It's a piece of shit
that leaks all over our garage that will be there forever."

Now, admittedly I've not had much time to work on it. Been ready to pull the
engine "Next weekend" for about three months. Of course, my wife always
finds things for me to do on the weeked. ("We're going to a birthday party"
or, barring anything planned "We need to spend time with the kids, we havent
had much family time this week.")

So now, I guess, This means war. In true "I'll show her" attitude I'm
currently laying plans to really get to work. Since I have this crazy
thought that I want it done by my birthday April 29th, It's time to get
cracking.

The car came with a DGV installed which works poorly. Since my goal is to
take this thing to 67 spec, I've purchased off ebay the following:

2 HS4 SU carbs
Intake Manifold
Requisite Linkages
Heat Shield
Two Beat to hell K&N filter cans.

All from a 67 B that was converted to a racer with DCOE's. And all this for
$177. Everything appears to be in excellent condition. Gotta love ebay.

Now, if some Guru out there could point me at a good SU reference, I'd much
appreciate it.

What do I look for on what needs to be rebuilt, if at all? If it's just
minor refurb I'll take the attempt myself, if more than that, it'll get
boxed up and shipped off to Lawrie. (It occurred to me that what I've paid +
Lawrie's rebuild is probably still cheaper than new from Moss :)

Also, When I asked about 67 spec a few months back I was told (By kelvin
among others) that the HS4 was what I wanted and someone mentioned specific
AUD numbers. I seem to recall this being related to being appropriate for
the type of dizzy I needed.

How do I identify these carbs as being...
A) Definitely HS4
B) a specific AUD of HS4. There's many AUD numbers on different parts of
this thing. Do I even need to worry?

Thanks,

-Chris

P.S. the guy sitting next to me at dinner said "Oh you have an MGB? I had a
65 MGB in college. God I wish I had that car back...." whereupon his eyes
glazed and a bemused smile crossed his face. I told him that B's were
plentiful and cheap around here. I may have caused another hapless soul to
fall into the LBC pit again. Of course, his wife gave me a dirty look, but
hey...

| Chris Thompson                                      ct@cthompson.com |
| 1973 MGB                                    http://cthompson.com/mg/ |