Re: Spot weld drills

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spot weld drills
From: Scott Bullock <sbull@preferred.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 21:30:03 -0500
Craig
I tried the cutter with replaceable blades and my option is that it is not worth
bringing home.  It is almost impossible to keep centered and if it is in any
bind at all (and you will find 90% of the welds on any LBC are in a bad places)
it destroys the blade.  I would keep away from this tool.  After the bad
experience with this tool I didn't even try the other one. (It looks like it
would work better but it was expensive and I decided the job of cutting out spot
welds was better done by staying with the basics) I just drilled them out with a
3/16 or 1/4 inch drill bit.  It leaves a much smaller hole that is easy to fill
with a mig.  They leave a perfect hole size to weld through and when done right
the can be made to look almost as good as the original spot weld.  These size
bits will not cut all the spot out but a  thin chisel between the two metal
pieces and they easily pop apart leaving a much less damaged base part.  If you
decide to use the cutter stay with the smallest.  When you start to put things
back together there is no reason to have 1/2 inch holes all over the place.
Good luck
Scott Bullock