Re: Shifting problem/sugg

To: "SueCallaham" <wadleigh@syix.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shifting problem/sugg
From: "Valerie Stabenow" <hlub34a@aeroinc.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 21:14:36 -0600
If this is a 74 Midget, and your first gear is non-synchro as mine
was...your throwout bearing may be on the way out. This "bearing" is
made of composite material that wears away until it is no longer doing
its job.

When I had the trans rebuilt for my MGA, I had a choice of a regular
roller bearing throwout and another "composite" bearing. I bought the
roller bearing.

If this ends up to be the problem, you are wise to have the whole
clutch redone, since all the work to get to the throwout bearing is
the same for doing the clutch. Clutch parts aren't that much more, but
then you have the peace of mind that the whole thing has been
replaced.

Valerie Stabenow, mga, tr4a, xk-e, tr6