Re: R: Home Powder Coating

To: Ronald Olds <tr6@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: R: Home Powder Coating
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:57:18 -0800
I'm setting up for this as well.  A fellow on the British Cars list
highly recommends the powder coating gun from Harbor Freight.  It's $99,
and he says far superior to the Eastwood model with a better gun and
bigger transformer.

Also, sources I've read recommend an oven with a window so you can check
things without letting out the heat.  Self-cleaning ovens are also best
since they have more insulation to hold the heat.

Time at temperature (450 degrees) is critical to success, and you need
to calibrate your oven with a good thermometer.  Stoves start at $50 in
the thrift shops here, and if you wire in just the oven you can get by
with a 30 amp 220V circuit. Connect a dryer pig tail to the oven
circuit, and disconnect the burners. Either make an extension cord long
enough to reach your dryer plug or you can violate code and wire in a
second outlet on the same circuit if you don't have the capacity in your
service box. Just don't run both at the same time  You shouldn't have a
problem using this in your garage as long as you have good ventilation.
You are melting plastic and it smells like it!

I'm currently taking time on my weekends driving though Seattle's lesser
neighborhoods looking for abandoned stoves sitting by the side of the
road!  And who knows, maybe the occasional MGB!
--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1
'65 MGB (Daily driver since 1969)
'74 MGB GT (Restoring sloooowly)

Assisting on Restoration (and spending OPM):
'72 MGB GT (Daughter's)
'64 MGB (Son's)

Stripped and gone but their parts live on:
'68 MGB, '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT