Steamy exhaust

To: "MGs (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steamy exhaust
From: scott beavis <scottbeavis@mobrey.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 08:18:44 -0000
Had an odd problem with the B (78GT) yesterday. The coolant needs topping up
regularly on this car. It seems to dump too much from the expansion tank and
no reclaim it back. It also blew 3 hoses in the past two months. I got a
10lb cap instead of the 15lb one and also tried modifying an old cap so it
was non-pressurizing. It still needs topping up every two weeks or so. No
sign of any leaks. I think that maybe the headgasket is on the way out and
water is going through the engine. Yesterday I nipped out to the DIY store a
few miles away. On the way back whilst sat in traffic I noticed steam
emanating from under the engine. I was running the non-pressurizing cap and
the gauge was half way so didn't worry. When I got home the engine seemed
very hot and I could see oil bubbling from between the head and the block.
It often does this when it gets hot. The head is torqued ok. Anyway, left it
to cool off and then refilled the system....<groan> pull off the top
hose...pour water in (that silly nut on the stat housing won't budge). It
took a good 3L of water. About an hour later I went to go out and as I drove
off down the road I noticed vast quantities of white smoke out the back.
This actually turned out to be steam on closer inspection, and sniffing. I
turned round and went back to the house and revved the engine. It just
pumped out thick clouds of steam. I figured the head gasket had blown and,
as my girlfriend needs the MG for shopping tomorrow, I looked at the
prospect of working in 'The Pits' until the early hours pulling the head and
changing the gasket. BUT....later that evening I took it for a quick spin
round the block and it seemed fine. <???> Maybe the engine sucked water into
the bores as it cooled down? Any ideas?

I think over Xmas I will pull the head and do the gasket anyway. It'll be a
useful exercise.

Scott

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com