Ignition Cylinder Lock Replacement?

Subject: Ignition Cylinder Lock Replacement?
From: Steve & Bonnie Sidwell <porsche.com@home.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 07:47:52 -0800
I need to replace the lock cylinder on my '78 "B" ignition switch.
Checking with Moss, I found that a replacement cylinder is not offered
for this item.  Looking further, I find they *are* available on the used
aftermarket.  However, I see the item offered as the entire ignition
switch, or as the lock cylinder only.  When I checked my Haynes manual,
I read something about "drilling out the retaining bolts" and at this
point in my mechanical expertise I'm looking only at things that bolt or
unbolt only!  The cylinder really is in rough shape - the key is hard to
get in and out, so I would like to replace it.  Am I looking at a simple
- or - not so simple job here?  Thanks very much,

Steve in Santa Barbara
'78 MGB