Replacement 25D

To: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Replacement 25D
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 08:25:35 -0600
Hello Gang,
   Over the past few days I have shared my thoughts
(read: spilled my guts) about the Lucas 25D4 distributor,
in my '70 B-GT.  In the most recent note I commented
that I had given up on repairing my mainshaft and cam
and had ordered a replacement, rebuilt 25D4.  It arrived
yesterday.
   The rebuilt unit is a Beck/Arnley rebuild and it is
TERRIBLE!  It not only is shoddily rebuilt with what look
like old army surplus parts, the casting looks to have been
sand blasted with used road sand and gravel; very rough.
The vacuum advance unit is repainted silver to cover areas
of RUST and the distributor is MISSING PARTS!  For
my $125 investment, I have what I consider to be no better
than a 'parts' distributor.  I am going to disassemble it and
use only the main shaft and cam to rebuild my old distributor!
   Buyer beware, I guess.

Rick