Re: running on

To: "Malcolm Jeffcock" <jeffcock@istar.ca>
Subject: Re: running on
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:00:19 -0600
At 05:23 PM 12/20/2000 -0400, Malcolm Jeffcock wrote:

>.... 74 B .... I have a running on problem ....

You didn't say if you had done any engine work, but start here:
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/engine/ro101.htm

>.... Smiths gauges .... how the oild pressure gauge is hooked up. I have a
braided hose  coming from the block and the piping from the gauge; how do
they connect?

On the inner RF fender, not far from the bonnet hinge, there is a small
brass fitting with male threads on both ends and a tab in the middle to
with one hole to screw it to the body.  The metal pipe from the gauge
attaches here.  The flexible hose from the engine block also attaches here,
effectively connecting the flex hose to the pipe.

>Is the gauge measuring actual pressure from the hose?

Yes.  It is a direct analog pressure gauge.  The oil from the engine is fed
into the steel pipe to supply pressure to the gauge.  The brass fitting on
the body has a small orifice in the middle to restrict flow of oil to
dampen motion of the gauge needle so it doesn't move erratically with short
term fluctuations in pressure from the oil pump and pressure relief valve.
If you have air in the metal line the action of the gauge will be a bit
lethargic as the oil has to flow slowly through the orifice while the air
in the line compresses and expands.  You get much quicker response at the
gauge if you remove the air from the line.  You do this by disconnecting
the small pipe at the back of the gauge and cranking or running the engine
until oil starts to flow out the back end of the pipe, and then reconnect
it to the gauge.  There is of course some potential for getting oil on the
carpet, so pe prepared for the oil to come out of the pipe.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg