Re: MG's Across America

To: d_dibiase@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: MG's Across America
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 12:17:18 -0600
On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 09:07:56 -0800 (PST) Dan DiBiase
<d_dibiase@yahoo.com> writes:
> Hi, anyone have (or seen) this video? Just wondering if it is worth
> the
> money to order, if it's decent quality, etc... Thanks....

Here's the text of a review I wrote last year for our local MG club
newsletter.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD
'74 MG Midget vintage racer
'88 Jaguar XJ-S

A few days ago I received a couple of new MG videos in the mail.  A
two-part series entitled "MG's Across America," offered by British Car
Films, Inc.  The videos are a part of a series that includes "Jaguars
Across America," "Minis Across America," "Morris Minors Across America,"
etc.  The following are reviews of each part, which can be ordered
separately:

Part 1: History and Racing (about 45 minutes).

Part 1 focuses on MG History and MG Racing. It begins with a brief
history of the MG models as they were sold in America.  As with both
parts, the video quality is not that great, seemingly shot largely with a
home-type hand-held camera.  However, the editing was well done and the
narration is very good.  You'll recognize a number of luminaries of the
U.S. MG world being interviewed, including Dick Knudsen.  The video
includes some great shots of MG's being raced in the U.S.  The best part,
however, is the large amount of rare archive footage, supposedly released
on video for the first time. Footage includes the first two Grand Prixs
from Watkins Glen in 1948 & 1949, both of which predominately featured MG
TC's. There is also newsreel footage of the MG Land Speed Record attempts
at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah from the 1950's.  A great 1957
sequence, taken from an Amoco promotional film, follows racing driver
David Ash as he takes his MGA to Sebring for a 12 hour race.  Bonus
sequences show Fangio, Phil Hill, and Sterling Moss competing against
him.

Part 2: Shows, Passion and Glorious Cars (about 55 minutes).

This video focuses on the passion Americans have for the MG and includes
interviews with several owners.  Some of the cars shown are very rare and
some are highly modified.  One example is a stretch MGB that I remember
seeing in a car show in Illinois.  A major highlight includes a tour
around the private MG Museum of Jerry Gougens, of Abingdon Spares fame.
His collection includes some absolutely unique and very rare models.
Included are one of the four 1955 Le Mans MGA's, a very original PB
Airline Coupe, an MG M coupe (one of very few made), and a K3 Magnette,
amongst others.  There are also some shots of John Twist's summer party
and Indy '96 (maybe you'll see yourself on the track!).  Interestingly,
the video ends with some shots of the MGF in Arizona, with requisite
blonde in the left-hand passenger seat.  The MGF was brought to Arizona
for heat tolerance testing (about time MG should check for overheating,
eh?).

Overall, the videos are quite well put together, and Part 1 is worth
ordering for the archive footage alone.  Part 2 makes a nice souvenir of
Indy '96, whether you were there or not, and includes some videos of very
rare MG's that you might otherwise never get the opportunity to see.

To order:

The US telephone number (toll-free 24 hours US only) is 1-800-454-8341.
The US address is: British Car Films, PO Box 520, Grover, MO 63040, USA

Part 1 ($19:95 +$4:95 S&H)
Part 2 ($19:95 +$4:95 S&H)
Part 1 & Part 2 (100 minutes) together $34:95 +$4:95)

US customers can pay either by credit card (VISA or MASTERCARD only) or
by cheque in US$ made payable to British Car Films.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!