Snow orphan MGA project available cheap

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Snow orphan MGA project available cheap
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:31:13 -0600
NOTE 1:  Keep in mind that cheap may not always be such a good deal.

In the Chicago, Illinois, area there is a disassembled 1960 MGA 1600
Roadster project just orphaned by the winter snows.  The fellow who owns it
has to get it out of his father's garage so that dad can park the family
car in there, as city ordanance does not allow parking on the street during
heavy snowfall.  So the MGA is up for immediate sale for a very reasonable
price, but is has to be trucked away within the next few days.
Disinterrested parties may delete now.

I have not seen the car yet, but have had extensive phone conversation with
the seller about the details.  It is reported to be a colletion of all of
the parts for the complete car, plus some new parts.  Possibly some of the
disassembly was done before the current owner took over, so I'm not totally
confident that it's all there.  I intend to have a visit for inspection,
digital photos, and as good an inventory as I can do in an hour or two late
Saturday afternoon.

Details so far reported to me, but nothing yet officially verified:

"Primer" as defined here is "some sort of blue/gray primer, looking pretty
good, no rust appearant".  Bare frame has had all necessary repair work
done and is in primer.  All chassis parts and rear axle and wheels are in
primer.  Steel disk wheel setup with front disk brakes.  Appearantly this
work was done by the previous owner.

All major body parts are present including front valance, but haven't yet
verified splash panels or other smaller body parts.  Body has been
"dipped", bare metal, no paint, temporary protective coating.  Appearantly
this work was done by the current owner.  Minor pin holes in the lowest
parts of the fenders.  Four aluminum skinned panels (doors and bonnet and
deck lid) not dipped, still with old paint, some small dings, no
significant dents.  Replacement nose clip welded in with joint about 4" aft
of front of bonnet, appears to be a professional job, very nice, was not
noticeable before stripping.  Main body is in two pieces, parted at the
sills.  This sounded like there may have been some rust and was cut in half
there for ease of transport.  It will of course need to be reassembled with
new sills.  May have been in garage storage for a few years since being
dipped, so I will be checking to see how "clean" it is (hopefully still
rust free).

The following new parts included were mentioned:  Windshield glass, black
vinyl seat kit (no mention of armrest), black vinly door panels (not clear
if complete panel kit or if door pockets included), black carpet kit,
stainless steel exhaust system, 5-ring Hepolite pistons +0.030 with Deves
rings and Hastings rings (2 different ring sets), and "a lot of other new
parts" (whatever that means).

1600 Engine block bored .030" O/S with two sleeves (didn't ask why).  Head
reworked with new hardened steel valve seats, bronze guides, stellite
exhaust valves, stainless intake valves.  Gearbox is appearantly still a
complete assembly (I hope).

And now the down side items:

1.) Cylinder head and engine block are in shop in Ohio, still with an
outstanding bill of about $240 for machine services.  Seller intends to pay
the bill and pick up those parts on next visit there in mid January.  Let
the buyer be aware and negotiate accordingly.

2.) Carburetors and intake manifold not present, but (reportedly) current
owner can and will get same from previous owner.  Let the buyer be aware
and negotiate accordingly.

3.) Title currently resides with previous owner in Kentucky (or Tennessee),
appearantly because current owner still owes a few hundred dollars of the
purchase price to previous owner.  Let the buyer be aware and negotiate
accordingly.

Current situation of negotiation:

I have tentatively agreed, sight unseen but contingent on inspection, to
take this tinker toy set off his hands for $1000 complete with engine,
carbs and title.  Certain adjustments may be made for any significant
missing parts.  The problems lie in the logistics.

Current agreement is to withold $250 until delivery of the engine block and
cylinder head.  This doesn't bother me too much, even if it never happened,
as I currently have an extra freshly rebuilt 1600 engine in my posession,
but I would still rather actually receive the reworked block and head.

Not yet agreed, but will likely withold $100 until delivery of the complete
set of carburetors with linkages, air cleaners and intake manifold.  This
is of some concern, because I do not currently have a spare set of carbs.

Not yet agreed, but will likely withold $150 pending delivery of a valid
title, and will demand title before payment for engine and carbs.  This is
of considerable concern, not so much because of a missing title, but
because legal title may likely still reside with the previous out of state
owner.  I haven't asked yet, but I suspect there may be no bill of sale
from previous owner to current owner.  The implication there is that I may
be taking delivery from someone who does not legally own the car
(techically speaking).

So far I'm not totally comfortable with these arrangements, as there appear
to be too many possible pitfalls.  First transaction would be to take
posession of a basket case of parts without complete engine or carbs and no
title for $500.  Considering what's included, condition of the parts, and
some new stuff included, the price seems reasonable, but there is the
possibility that the transaction may effectively end there, and I really
don't want just a pile of parts.  Next would be $150 for the title sometime
after the first of the year.  That would be followed later, perhaps mid to
late January, by the $250 and $100 for engine parts and carb set respectively.

I think that the seller intends to use portions of the first cash exchange
to clear the title and engine parts out of hock (title first of course),
and get the rest of the cash upon delivery of the rest of the merchandise.
The first part of the transaction is easily motivated by the father's
prodding to get the junk out of his garage.  The rest of the deal may or
may not have sufficient motivation to ever see completion on the part of
the seller.  Pricewise the deal seems pretty good, but the PITA mid-winter
moving and the follow up work required and the risk involved make the deal
more marginal.

I currently have a reservation for a U-Haul truck for Sunday, but the
rental agency is only open 10-5 on Sunday and closed on Christmas day, and
there's some question on whether I can get a one-day rate if not returned
by 5 PM.  Also will be colder than a witche's *** here this weekend, so the
actual moving is likely to be delayed until Tuesday.  The truck expenses
would be close to $100 for a 60 mile round trip.  And if the seller gets me
the least bit PO'd I might well just cancell the whole transaction.

In any case, I have no intention of restoring this MGA myself (one is
enough for me), but am primarily interrested in saving the poor orphan to
eventually get it into the hands of someone else who does want to restore
it.  Failing that it might ultimately get auctioned off as individual loose
parts.  In the meantime I might try piecing together the sills, just as a
matter or practice and curiosity.  So is anyone here interrested in a nice
MGA restoration project at a reasonable cost?  Listers get first notice
right of first refusal.  Then this notice may be posted to a couple of web
sites after a few days.  Some pictures may be available on line by Sunday
afternoon.

Regards to all,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude