Re: Tranny shipping (longish reply)

To: "Scott Allen" <scottinarl@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Tranny shipping (longish reply)
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 09:13:32 -0500
This exact thing happened to me when I shipped a 20" Sun Microsystems monitor
from here (Philadelphia) to Chicago a few years ago.  It arrived to my buyer on
time, but I was told it looked like UPS had forgotten to close the cargo door on
their aeroplane and that the monitor fell a few thousand feet to the earth.

UPS also denied the claim, claiming first the packaging was insufficient (it
wasn't... by this time it had all been crushed or missing).  Then they added
that the monitor wasn't in it's original manufacture packaging and therefore no
claim could be made!  Somehow though the SS20 workstation I shipped with it,
separately, that I didn't package as well arrived perfectly as I sent it.

So I lost the $500 for the monitor and now I do not ship computer equipment via
UPS... it all goes Airborne Express (the way my Dell computers arrive), and
haven't had any trouble.  They even provide packaging materials if you need it.

Kai