RE: fulcrum pin problems

To: "'Dan Hackney'" <danhackney@nc.rr.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: fulcrum pin problems
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 09:20:41 -0800
Dan:

        Make sure that you check fit between the upper fulcrum pin and the
upper bushings.  In fact it is a good idea to dry fit every component
nowadays.  Despite a lot of yelling and screaming, production tolerances are
going all over the place.  It's very difficult to track the problems, as
they occur in batches and are often not discovered until after changes in
vendor or manufacture occur.  Out of spec. components that are initially
rejected and returned to vendor can often times re-emerge during times of
shortage from otherwise legitimate sources, causing havoc to purchasing,
tech and the final customer.

        In this case I have examined components where the  pin to bush
clearance is too tight.  Plus and minus tolerances combine to give
inadequate clearance.  The problem gets really exasperating when the items
are both manufactured by the same normally reputable company.  The pin is
not hardened, as anyone who has beat one out of a king pin can attest too.
And so can not take the torque necessary to pull it through an incorrectly
toleranced sleeve.  Check the torque specs in the factory manual, and do not
exceed them during installation.  If the components do not pull up with
reasonable torque, then disassemble and check for problems.  The clean bolt
should slip readily through the clean (rubber cleaned out) bushing.  The
bolt should also fit through the shock absorber arm holes without binding.
I suggest using a bit of antiseize on the bolt to reduce the likelyhood that
the bush sleeve rusts to the bolt.  When correctly toleranced and assembled
the steel sleeves of the bushings should be securely sandwiched between the
shock arms.  The outer rubber of the bushings then seizes to the king pin
upper trunnion.  Just as the lower bushings, final tightening should be done
at suspension rest position to prevent tearing of the bushing.

        If you are using poly bushings, ignore the above.  They are designed
to slip on the fulcrum pin, and are usually lubricated where they ride on
the pin surface.

Hope this helps out in a very upsetting situation.

Kelvin.