'69 MGC-GT FS in SE PA

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: '69 MGC-GT FS in SE PA
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 10:53:22 EST
Another lister asked me to check out a '69 MGC GT that is listed online for
sale in Glenside, PA.  I took a run over there last week to have a look.  The
other lister decided against it, because it isn't running.  Here is what I
found.  It is too good to be junked, but it is a resto project, not a car
that you will have running in a weekend.

The car can be seen at:
www.cars.com/carsapp/national/?srv=adlocator&act=print&zc=19038&flt=zr,n_ms,
used&adid=15235855&ct=used&quote=on
or you can go to www.cars.com and search for all MGs within 10 miles of
zipcode 19038, if the long link above doesn't work for you.

WELL...it isn't as good as it looks in the photo.  (They never are!)  Let's
start with the good points:
There is no Bondo.  It is all metal (and rust).  No evidence of Bondo on any
panel.
It is very complete.  Everything is there, all the gauges including the
clock, all the engine bits, interior, everything.
Overdrive tranny.  (Did all Cs have overdrive?)
No dents.  I don't think it was ever in an accident.
Bonnet fits well and is in good condition.
Doors seem pretty solid.  I only opened the drivers side, but the seams are
straight and the door doesn't wobble when you lift it.
Chrome wire wheels seem tight and in good condition.

Now for the other side of the coin:
Rusted out rocker panels (under the doors).
Rust on the bottoms of the fenders, front and rear.
Some small rust spots on other panels, but not very bad.
I did not lay down in the 6" of snow to check underneath, and it was getting
dark, but under-car rust or floor pan rust is a real possibility here.
Engine compartment is rusty.  It will need the engine pulled and complete
strip and repaint.
This car has been sitting a LONG time.  The guy told me it was parked for 6
years, but the last PA registration was 1986.  (My calculator says 15 years.)
 I did not try to turn it over because I didn't want to damage the engine
without prepping it first, and the battery is probably dead.
Seats are covered with sheepskin (Just like Macy's car!) so I would imagine
seat covers are needed.

In other words, if you are looking for a two-year project car, this would be
an excellent choice.  Very complete, so you don't need to replace a lot of
missing stuff, but what is there needs to be rebuilt.

IMO, the price is too high for it's condition.  (His asking price on the 'net
is $3500.)  He might come down on the price. Most of the cars on his lot had
price tags that said they were lower than the Internet price.  I didn't try
to bargain with him.  I also don't know what the market is on MGC GTs.  BTW,
since it is sitting in about 6" of snow, all the way at the back of his lot,
it may have been there for a while.

An MGC GT would be a fun car to own, just be prepared for a lot of work.
 Good luck, and let me know if you are interested.  If you need directions to
the place, just let me know.  Let's keep 'em on the road!

BTW, he also had a nice looking 1972 Saab (would that be a Saab 96?), behind
the snow drifts!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget