Re: Was: Dumb Carb Question, Now: Those Wacky CatCons

To: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Was: Dumb Carb Question, Now: Those Wacky CatCons
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:26:27 -0500 (EST)
Dan, when I converted to Su's, the catcon went into the dumpster, well my
private stockroom. I took  the car to be inspected at a private place
where a grizzled old mechanic worked.
He leaned out the SU's so far that it passed inspection which is all it
has to do in NJ. You and I are not required in NJ to have OEM, only to
pass.

BTW, he told me he leaned out the carbs and it might not run particularly
well. "You might have to richen up the mixture to run well." After I did,
it did and he was right.

Frank, for some reason, lives in a state where looks are as important as
substance.

As far as convincing the emissions inspected, a conversation with Jim
Knight at British Racing Green (DE), solved that problem. He told me he
had to take his shop manual once to have a car pass because it did not fit
the current requirements. Proving from the manual that the missing item
was actually stock normal did the job.

 Bill '76B

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Dan DiBiase wrote:

> As an aside, with the location of the catcon where it is on the late
> MGB's, I always wondered if I would have a hard time convincing an
> emmissions inspector that that is, indeed, the converter - since most are
> located under the car... It doesn't even look like a "normal" converter,
> but what should we expect from the same people that mounted the heater
> control valve over the distributor, I guess!
>

> =====
> Dan DiBiase
> Dayton, NJ
> '76 MGB Tourer - Brooklands Green - My Driver!
> '66 Pull-handle MGB Tourer - faded Tartan Red - My Project!
> NAMGBR #5-2328

Bill Saidel           (856) 225-6336
Dept. of Biology      (856) 225-6312 FAX
Science Building      E-Mail: saidel@crab.rutgers.edu
Rutgers University
315 Penn Street
Camden, NJ 08102-1411
USA
For more information about my science, check
      http://crab.rutgers.edu/~saidel/saidel.html

"Sacred cows make divine hamburgers."