Re: Engine ID

To: "Doug" <dprather@centurytel.net>, "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine ID
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 09:54:31 -0700
There should be an engine number plate - it is located on the passenger
side of the engine on a flat plate. just below the head, center of the
block. If it is there, it should start off with 18G and a series of letters
and numbers. The 65 probably had the 18G or 18GA engine. If its newer than
1971, it will begin with 18V.

If that plate is missing, then you will have to look at the more subtle
differences - like the tachometer. Does it have a mechanical cable, like
the speedometer, that leads to the driver side of the block? If so, you
have the 18G engine.

There are other things we can look at also.

David Councill
65 MGB
67 MGBGT
71 MGBGT (parts car)