Re: Head Studs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Head Studs
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:08:07 EST
In a message dated 16/01/01 9:48:04 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> May I ask on what experience you base that statement, Jim? And the following
> two questions would also seem important - How many times can used head studs
> be re-used safely, and how, by looking at an engine that you've just taken
> apart for the first time, can you determine how many times the studs there
> have already been re-torqued?
> Lawrie

I agree with Lawrie.

There was one type of stud that usually had a little '22' on the top that was
absolute crap - it wouldn't take regular torque half the time, and would
break if you went one pound over (or sometimes under!).

The later ones, supplied as replacements for MGBs, usually had a little
dimple in the end (where they centred them for machining) and they were much
better, but still stretched a bit, and had a limited useful life - I would
replace them every two seasons on my race cars.

The best solution seems to be ARP studs that have, if not an unlimited
service life, at least a very long one. Probably overkill for street MGs.

I don't have the same problem in the car I run the Twincam in, as they use a
larger diameter stud, which I have specially machined.

Bill S.