Re: Tach

To: mg-dennis@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Tach
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 14:18:54 -0600
On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 08:46:55 -0800 dennis <mg-dennis@mindspring.com>
writes:
> When setting my idle I have never been able to get it under 1100 rpm.
> can get it down to about 1000 but it would wants to die.  This
> weekend
> I went down to Sears and bought one of their $30 dwell/tach meters.
> It
> says I'm idling at 800 when my tach says 1100.  I am more inclined
> believe the meter rather than my 34 year old tach.  Is it typical to
> see
> that much discrepancy in a tach?  If it is in error is it a
> percentage
> of it's reading or is it just 300 rpm fast no mater what rpm I'm at?

Dennis;

You can calibrate your tach.  Barney Gaylord gives a detailed description
in the archives, but basically all that is required is to remove the tach
from its housing, re-hook it up, then adjust it against a hand/held tach.
 The adjustment screw is rather obvious once you get the housing off.  I
recommend you adjust it at a higher rev setting, say 3000 rpm, because
that is where you want your tach to be most accurate.  Chances are your
meter won't indicate speeds much higher than that.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD
'74 MG Midget vintage racer