Seting pinion and crownwheel

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Seting pinion and crownwheel
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:59:49 -0700
How does one check to see if the meshing of the pinion and crownwheel are set
correctly?

I have two 3.9:1 early style gear sets in their carriers on my work bench.  If
I keep the pinion stationary and move the crownwheel
one will move .011" the other .007".  The one with the least movement was
"rebuilt" (I don't know if that means by a professional or
the previous owner).  The one with the .011" movement came out of the car.
Frankly I don't know if this tells any one anything
other than one is different than the other.

Any help out there?

Larry Hoy