Re: Motor mount alignment

To: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Subject: Re: Motor mount alignment
From: "Jeff Fayne" <fayne@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:55:40 -0600
You don't mention what vehicle, I'm assuming a 'B and that you've verified
that the new mounts are dimensionally similar to the old.

I had a similar problem a few years back when I dropped my '70B engine back
in with new engine and transmission mounts. Turns out I had the transmission
crossover mount reversed and that was offsetting the engine from the
mounting holes. From my recollection, the mount is not symmetric and has a
3/8" or so offset. Don't quote me it's been a few years.

Sounds like your just replacing the existing mounts and didn't have the
engine out. It's possible that your crossover mount could have been flipped
the entire time and the slop in the mounts (engine and transmission) took up
the offset. The transmission mount can turn to 'jelly' due to oil leakage
and have quite a bit of slop in it. Mine actually looked like it was
melting.

Jeff