Re: Drain plug magnets

To: barneymg@ntsource.com
Subject: Re: Drain plug magnets
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:46:10 -0500
Barney,
  Thanks for the explanation of the engine detritus.
  In a different time and place I had a small farm.  One feeds a magnet
to ruminants such as goats and cows to minimise what was locally known as
"iron sickness".  The magnet  (1/2 x 3 inches, chromed and rounded ends)
stays in the first of the stomachs and attracts iron that would otherwise
continue through the beast and puncture its GI tract.   Come that time of
the year, farmers would compare the retrieved magnets and the chunks of
metal (gate latches, wire barbs, nails, bolts, etc). Some of the
collections were amazing to behold.
Bob