Battery Up Front?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Battery Up Front?
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 11:36:38 -0500
There's a picture of the engine compartment of a 64 B...

http://www.british-cars.org.uk/kimber/pics/neuhaus3.jpg

Described as...

Engine bay with 2-litre-engine, built by Brown & Gammons in 1982. 106 bhp at
the rear wheels are good for 120 mph.

what struck me was the battery being up front. Being a 64, there's no
charcoal canister in the offside "pedalbox area".

I'm rebuilding a 73, which, being older than 25 years in Ohio, I dont have
to submit to emissions standards. I'll probably be removing the charcoal
canister on mine. That said, I look at that area on mine and it looks way
too small for a size 26 battery. Anyone know if one will fit there?

Also, what about those small miata batteries that use "Absorption Glass
Mat" technology. 475CCA from a really small battery. The aftermarket ones
are even sealed so you can put them in the trunk without fear of gas
collection. But they require a much slower charge rate, and I wonder if the
MGB alternator would blow it up.

Miata Battery info is at... http://www.miata.net/garage/battery.html

-Chris

| Chris Thompson                                      ct@cthompson.com |