re: Alternator

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Alternator
From: "Bruce" <mg@medfordstation.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 16:14:40 GMT
Hi,

You might check to se if the belt has worn to the point that it is
contacting the center of the pully VEE. If this happens then no matter how
tight you have the belt ajusted the belt will not transmit the power from
pully to pully. This is because the belt transfers most of its force in the
contact area on the sides of the pully VEE. A simple way to check for this
is to look into the bottom of the VEE and see if it is shiny. You can also
put a small amount of chalk on the pully and see where the chalk is worn
off by the belt. If you have access to an inductive amplifier used by the
telephone trade or just a noisy auto radio you can listen to the alternator
wine. You will notice that as the engine rpm's increase the alternator
wine's frequency will increase to a point and then go no further. This
indicates a slipping belt. I have used this technique on many mistery
charging problems and found the problem to be a belt that does not fit the
pully grove correctly. In most occasions the belt looked just fine.

   Bruce  mg@medfordstation.com

  PS: An induction amplifier and toner probe can be obtained at most
telephone systems distributers and many electrical supply houses for about
125 dollars It is a most useful tool for use in the home and auto.