Re: aluminum v8

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: aluminum v8
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:40:23 -0800
Did anyone see the recent Junkyard Wars episode with the "tractor
tug-of-war"? One of the teams was overjoyed to find a Rover V8 for their
3-wheeled monstrosity (motorbike front fork, 4 spd, welded-up diff) and were
practically delirious about the "great gobs of torque" available. This
cracked me up, since if it was an American junkyard they'd have had no
problem finding a 7+ liter V8 or a 6.2 liter diesel. But it pulled the pants
off the Ford V6 that the other team scrounged. Actually, to be fair, the
Ford burnt out its torque converter as they revved from a standstill on the
3rd pass. But it still was a tribute to the toughness of the Rover
drivetrain that it held out, considering the advisor's instructions to the
driver were "rev it to 4000 and drop the clutch in 2nd". This with giant ATV
tires on dirt.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149