Another one lives!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Another one lives!
From: ValveCurtain@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:40:52 EST
Hello Gang,
   Tonight I started my '70 MGB-GT for the first time after the
rebuild!  Success!  The car started right up and idled at 1600
rpm (on the choke) and ran for about 15 minutes seating the
new rings, before I shut it down.  My once totally drowned and
dead car is now back alive.
   A few observations:

1) The idle speed is rock solid as is the dwell.
2) Haven't checked the dynamic timing yet.
3) The valves lash is acceptably quiet with no one valve
    obviously noisy.
4) There was one small leak in the fuel system where the
    forward carb's jet flex line attaches to the float bowl.  It
    appears that I had not adequately tightened the fitting
    and the rubber seal was not seated.
5) No leaks in the coolant or oil systems.
6) There was water in the muffler that I did not know about.
    Remember, this is one of the two cars that was under 12
    feet of river water.  That 'major league nasty' water is now
    all over my back garage wall.
7) I set off the smoke detector in the house but was forgiven.
8) I am pleased.

Regards,

Rick
'79 308GTB