Coil orientation

To: Ken Waringa <kwaringa@dynsys.com>,
Subject: Coil orientation
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:35:24 -0600
Hi Gang,
   This is a topic of interest to perhaps 10% of the
listmembers so erase now if you are not interested
in tiny details.
   In a number of photos I have noticed that MG
mounted the coil with the terminal end DOWN in a
number of applications.  The coil wires, both low
and high tension, seem to fit better with the coil in
this orientation.  Yet, some coil manufacturers specify
that the coil should be only mounted with the terminals
UP so that the tar, pitch, oil, whatever, inside stays
better in place when hot.
   What is the true story?  I'd like to mount my coil in
the correct orientation just for cosmetics but I don't
want it to explode or drip tar out all over the starter.
   What's the real story?  See, I told you that it was
a tiny detail. :-)
   Okay, for those of you who read this far, you get
a little tip:  To clean corrosion off of electrical
contacts -- like the hard to clean fuse block, remove
the part and coat it in catsup for a day!  The acid in
the catsup will eat away the corrosion and the
viscosity of the catsup will keep it in place.  When
done, just clean the part up with an old toothbrush
using dishwashing soap and water.   Coat the part
with a thin layer of WD40 before reinstallation to
further dissuade corrosion.
   And the fee for this advice?  Just like a Lucas
alternator: no charge!

Rick Lindsay