Was haynes v shop manual... now list of minor questions

To: "'JustBrits'" <justbrits@mediaone.net>,
Subject: Was haynes v shop manual... now list of minor questions
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:11:35 -0800
Hi ed, thanks for the advice,

no, but i may be driven to it. The autochoke has a mind of it's own at the
moment (so i've been thinking of giving it the bentley manual overhall). It
doesn't seem to turn on till the car has been running for about a minute
(hard to start, and idles at 1000rpm), then sticks on for bloody ages (you
can smell the gas in the exhaust and the car idles at around 2000rpm). I did
the timing today and the bloody thing was driving me mad. I was constantly
having to twiddle the idle screw to make up for the choke's vaguries. Each
time i switched of the engine to adjust the distributor, the choke would
decide to turn itself on or off and then i'd have to tweak the idle back to
1500 to check the advance.... grrrr!

I noticed the timing mark was moving about quite a bit, not staying steady
in one place. I checked for wear in the distributor rotor but it's a snug
fit (the car had a new coil and electronic ignition fitted in the summer).
Any other ideas what might be the problem?

Anyway, it's running much better for having the timing tweaked and new
sparks and leads. Actually for that matter any idea why i should have a
beautiful gradation from pretty clean but slightly white electrode on spark
#4 to patently sooty spark#1?  The only idea i can come up with is that
either the previous owner didn't change them as a set (entirely possible, so
much else electrical was half-arsed). I don't think the car's burning oil,
the spark plugs were very dry, no like you'd expect if that were the
problem.

I'm planning on adjusting the mixture tomorrow. I had a little play with my
new colourtune plug and the combustion was blue, not yellow so at least the
mixture is not horrendously rich. So we shall see...

any advice would be great

cheers

Joe

_________________