This week's trials & tribulations

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: This week's trials & tribulations
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 20:56:00 -0800
I may have to stop driving on Fridays... bad luck, apparently. Late last
Friday night on the freeway in a rainstorm the B's wipers quit. Fortunately
it was raining hard enough to keep a smooth sheet of water flowing over the
glass as long as I was moving fast. Almost no traffic at that hour, so I
just kept going. Upon disassembly the next day it seemed that the rust
buildup inside the motor casing was the problem -- at least that's the only
thing that I really did anything to, but they worked after that.

Then this last Friday on 580 at rush hour the right rear tire suddenly
deflated. I think I can thank the tube for avoiding a blowout, it was more
like a very quick deflation. It turned out there was a 16d double-headed
nail (I know there's a name for those things -- what is it?) through the
tread, with just part of the head protruding. Nice sort of thing to scatter
on the freeway, I thought. Anyway, a quick bout with the KO hammer, and I
was back on the road on the skinny-but-well-inflated spare. The scary part
was trying to merge with traffic on an uphill curve with a solid line of
cars doing 70+ in the right lane, completely oblivious to my signal. One
large SUV accelerated to cut me off, then the lady in the Corolla behind it
glued herself to its bumper while just looking at me blankly, as if it was
completely normal for someone to be driving parallel to her on the shoulder,
matching speeds, and screaming their head off. B***** idiots...

PS: I was watching the end of the Daytona 500, and I saw the crash, but I
had no idea it was serious. Then a friend called to tell me he had seen on
the news that Dale Earnhardt had been killed. I was shocked. It makes you
think... even professionals, with all the safety equipment, can get killed.
Yet people drive every day as if they were invulnerable... in fact, you are
far more likely to be killed on public roads than while racing. I almost
think that the invention of air bags has made drivers more aggressive, and
take more risks. If everyone was driving LBCs we wouldn't be seeing this
car-as-weapon, get-out-of-my-way-or-else style of driving.

(off soapbox)
--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149