'67 Speedo/ "Gross" Jets

To: "The MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: '67 Speedo/ "Gross" Jets
From: "wcameyer" <wcameyer@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:33:40 -0700
I have to disassemble and clean the speedo on my '67B.  It is the type where
the trip odometer setting cable passes through a hole in the metal
body/cannister.
How does one remove that cable so you can remove the guts from the canister?

Bill Meyer

Ran it, "Battler" (named after the post-war British comic book hero and
Spitfire ace Battler Briton, who kept getting knocked about but always came
out on top - seemed a very fitting moniker for a junker I found under a
collapsed barn roof) at Phoenix International Raceway yesterday.  For an
exhausted engine with 40# oil pressure and 100# in three cylinders and 88#
in one, it ran like a dream for the "track tour" as well as the 2.5 hr down
there and back.
By the way, it did stop running last week.  After much looking about, it
seemed the gas might be bad.  I started pumping it out and it began to look
better (Valentine's day turned out to be a snow day - n18").  When I took
the lids off the float bowl, they were both dry!!  Both Grose Jets had
stuck.  Cleaned both of them, and it happened again the next day - had to
use a piece of wire to free one of them!!  Replaced both with std needle
valves, and all seems OK.

Bill