Re: More cooling problems etc

To: mvheim@studiolimage.com
Subject: Re: More cooling problems etc
From: scott beavis <sbeavis@solartronanalytical.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 09:39:41 -0000
>The 78 doesn't have an access hole to the tranny filler. You have to go
>under the car and fill it through a plug in the right side of the tranny

I'll get the jacks and axle stands out this weekend and have a nose
underneath. Wish I had a pit!

>case, using either an oil pump or a long rubber hose leading up through the
>engine compartment. Lawrie recommends 30wt racing oil for the OD tranny.
>When you're changing the oil make sure you open both drain plugs -- the OD
>unit has its own drain, although you use the same filler for both.

One filler does both sumps yeh? So I must use the same oil in both the box
and the OD? ie: 30wt   I was going to use normal 20w50 in the OD, but did
plan to use gear oil in the gearbox. The A series seems ok with 20w50 in the
gearbox so I assume the B series must be ok too.

>The diff has a drain plug straight in the bottom and a filler plug (as you
>noted). It takes regular 85/90wt gear oil.

Ok, that one looks quite easy. Do I fill it to the brim or half way or what?

>This still seems to be too much water loss. Your idea of an expansion
bottle
>(below) would help quantify it. But the gray oil really makes it look like
>water leak in the block or head. It may not be the gasket -- did you have
>the head checked for cracks?

No I didn't get it professionally checked. I just looked at it and it looked
ok. I have a spare head so I'll clean that up and get it refaced and fit
that. It could be that the old head is warped and isn't clamping the gasket
firmly. It did overcook a couple of times when we had water loss problems
before.

Cheers,
Scott