Re: Engine stud anomalies 77B

To: Bulwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Subject: Re: Engine stud anomalies 77B
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:36:54 -0500
Blake,

You have quoted biased sources attempting to get unbiased opinions. There are
many
variables that can influence the microstructure of cut threads as well as rolled
threads. Once the variables are stabilized and consistent results are being
obtained, the final products from both manufacturing methods can be cut, ground,
polished, etched and finally analyzed under a modern metallographic microscope;
then decisions can be made regarding quality. It is possible to produce
excellent
results using either method. Roller die produced threads are only practical for
volume production because of the high cost to produce a pair of dies;
conversely,
quality volume production is really only practical using using roller dies.

For the ultimate in high tolerance quality, roller dies cannot match cutting and
grinding in a CNC machine. Anyone who would make a contradictory statement is
being
silly: roller dies are made using cutting and grinding methods. Cut and ground
head
studs would be prohibitively expensive, but I bet you would be hard pressed to
find
anyone who would accept a rolled camshaft instead of the ground ones we all
admire.
Both methods have their place.

Jim