322km/h Sprite

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 322km/h Sprite
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 15:21:47 +0000
Yes, it is F1 weekend in Australia so we are all thinking SPEED!

Here is a challenge to the MG world (how is that land-speed record
going, guys)?

Here is a photo from out local paper, titled "Gail Phillips and her
modified Austin Healey Sprite.  She hopes to clock 322km/h at Lake
Gairdner"

"The Californian is in South Australia with her specially modified
Austin Healey Sprite aiming to become the first woman to officially
clock 200mph (322km/h) over the mile in Australia"

Based on a 1959 Bugey, it is powered by Chevy V8 that generates about
500 horsepower.  Gail is one of only 8 woman inducted into the
'Bonneville 200 Club' after her 2-way average over the mile of
202.098mp/h on the Bonneville salt flats in the US.

She reckons she may be able to pass 210mph in this attempt!

And here is the picture from the 'paper:
http://www.erickson.on.net/mgb/misc/322ksprite_sml.jpg

I'm not looking for 300km/h out of *my* new engine, but I commenced the
installation process this weekend and I can tell you that I am starting
to get a little bit excited.

Now, back to the television... and more racing!

Eric
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia