Funny valves, was: Re: Okay, so no one watched the race-Reply

To: James Nazarian Jr <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Subject: Funny valves, was: Re: Okay, so no one watched the race-Reply
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 09:50:50 -0600
James Nazarian Jr wrote:

> > Rick said - Okay, so no one watched the race...
> >
> I was particularly intrigued by the rumor that Relault might be working on
>electromagnetically controlled valves.

   Yes!  When you think through that, the only way to
make that work (to their advantage) is to use a valve
design OTHER than a cone setting in a circular hole.
In short, the whole design of the valve has to be
different.  Granted you could open and close a
conventional valve with a solenoid but that requires
mass and mass retards acceleration.  They went to
pneumatic valve actuation so as to cut DOWN the
mass of the valve operating mechanism.  That's how
they cracked the 17,000rpm barrier. It will be
fascinating to see what they come up with as they
were talking about >20,000rpm!!!  Yeeehaaaa!

rick