Re: will an MG fit on a u-haul trailer

To: "Edwin McCarroll" <emccarroll@mco.edu>, <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: will an MG fit on a u-haul trailer
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 10:02:39 -0600
At 09:48 AM 3/8/2001 -0500, Edwin McCarroll wrote:
>I would be interested in purchasing the type of tie-downs that are used on
u-haul trailers ie. those that go over the wheels to hold the car in place.
  Is there a source for these and mounting hardware?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=65618

>Would it be ok to use these on both front and rear wheels from the
standpoint of safety  instead of chains?

Yes.

These wheel straps are commonly used on the two-wheel tow dollys as the
sole means of attaching the car to the dolly, when the car tires also rest
in a cradle to prevent fore/aft motion of the car on the dolly.  It is
highly recommended that you also use an additional means of securing the
car in case the primary attachment should fail, meaning also use a sefety
chain between the dolly and the car.

When transporting a car on a flatbed trailer without tire cradles it is
also adviseable to provide restraint of fore/aft motion of the car in
addition to the wheel straps.  Wheel straps alone can be subject to
considerable stress during heavy braking if the car is allowed to roll on
the flat deck.  In the case of a wooden floor trailer I usually nail down a
couple of thick boards in front of the car front tires to prevent rolling
forward, then pull a winch up snug to hold the car forward against the
wheel blocks.  Then I throw a heavy strap over the rear axle and secure it
to the tail end of the trailer, and then attach the safety chain to the
front suspension or the front bumper, just in case.  Better safe than sorry.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg