Unknown fuel tank

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Unknown fuel tank
From: Maffei Andrew P SSgt 27 LG/LGQPT <Andrew.Maffei@cannon.af.mil>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:25:50 -0700
I just changed out the fuel tank on my 66 B,  the whole job went pretty
smoothly
But upon installing the new tank, was when I realized that the tank that had
been in the car was not the original.  the filler neck on the tank was
different, and the fuel cap end of the neck had about 2" cut off of it so
that they would fit together. Also it either had a fuel pickup or  return
line fitting right behind the filler neck( which someone had drilled a hole
in the trunk so the tank would fit in) and the sending unit had the fuel
pickup on it and the fuel line had been cut and rubber hose installed. Also
the sending unit had only one connection for the gauge, the other connector
had been cut and attached to the frame. Other that these differences, the
tank fit right in, and looked exactly the same as the new one, right down to
the bolt pattern.
My question is; out of curiosity does anyone know what kind of car this tank
came from?