Farina Magnette carbs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Farina Magnette carbs
From: Brian Warmuth <warmuthb@vms.wlsc.wvnet.edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 08:59:07 -0500
Andrew;

Tell Josh to visit the Farina Magnette website at "www.mgmagnette.com"
The "guru" of these cars is a chap by the name of Neil Cairns in the
U.K. I believe he can be reached through this website and/or his e-mail
may be available with a little effort..sorry I don't have it right now
at work. Anyway, I too have a 1960 Farina Magnette Mark III. The cars
have the S.U. HD4 carbs and are adjusted quite differently than a
"regular" HS series carb most of us are familiar with. There is an
idle/jet adjusting screw which adjusts the mixture accross the range of
rpms on the side of the carb and this is turned counter clock-wise to
LEAN the mixture (the opposite of what you would think) as it actually
adjusts air input. Most of the time the rubber diaphrams on the carb
jets are shot, so they need replaced and these are difficult to find.
They also may only be leaking and need the screws gently tightened that
hold the jet diaphrams to the bottom of the carbs. If he needs the
diaphrams, he should try Joe Curto - the S.U. rebuild and parts guy.  I
will try to get more detailed information about the carb adjustment
process and pass it along.  Josh may want to contact me off list.

Brian

Bria