Re: SU Adjustments (LONG!) was: Float Height Issue

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SU Adjustments (LONG!) was: Float Height Issue
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 15:11:20 -0800
Hey, I wasn't speculating! I was in "deny everything" mode... Actually, I
don't see any way to measure the kinds of things we're talking about here
given the resources at my disposal, so I'll leave it to Rick. <g>

But realistically, if precise float height was so critical to mixture, how
come there was only one spec for all years of carburetor, based on the type
of float (metal vs plastic) -- rather than a different height spec for every
carb series, needle variant, smog vs non-smog, UK vs NA, altitude, ambient
temperature and humidity, you name it? My point is that there must be (given
the evidence and my own experience) a somewhat broad tolerance of float
height between the extremes which would actually noticeably affect
performance. The quoted spec would then be a convenient round number
somewhere in the middle of this safe range.

At any rate, I haven't read anything yet to convince me otherwise...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149