Re: OD Tranny (LH Type)

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OD Tranny (LH Type)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 13:07:35 -0800
on 3/17/01 2:07 PM, William T Snyder, II at wtsnyder@juno.com wrote:

> Hello list. Today, I pulled the early LH type tranny from a parts car I
> recently purchased (a '72 BGT) in preparation for trading out the
> 4-synchro non-OD tranny in my project car. It is also a '72 BGT but has
> been fitted with a later 18V engine and later side fill 4-synchro tranny.
> I have a few questions.

By "early LH type" I assume you mean 68-74. This should work fine with an
18V engine.

> 1. On the left side of the tranny just anterior to the reverse lamp
> switch is a plastic tube which sticks out about 3/4" and has 2 3/16"
> holes opposite each other on the sides of the 1/2" tube near its exposed
> terminus. What is it? Transmission oil comes out of it when the tranny is
> tilted too far.

This is the broken remnants of a breather tube. It should also have a sort
of loose plastic cap. I can't seem to find it in the Moss catalog, though,
but I'm sure I bought one once from my local Moss dealer.

> 2. On the right side of the tranny opposite the reverse lamp switch is a
> threaded hole about 5/16" in diameter. Any ideas what it might be or if
> anything should be threaded into it?

This is the location for the overdrive isolation switch. It looks identical
to the reverse light switch, and in fact is the same part number. Although
my recollection is that the OD switch is on the left side, and the reverse
lamp switch is on the right side -- but then I have a late LH OD, and I
don't even have the reverse lamp switch installed (not having any reverse
lamps). Moss shows one illustration for 68-80, and it is the earlier one
with the dipstick filler, and it shows the reverse lamp switch on the left.

> 3. The yellow wire aparrently running to the solenoid switch led to
> nothing on the donor car. Where does the yellow wire from the wiring
> harness usually exit the body to run to the tranny?
>
> 4. A blue wire was found heading down toward the tranny from the shifter
> hole in the tranny tunnel. Any ideas what it is or where it would attach
> to the tranny?
>
> 5. The were no wires attached to the reverse lamp switch. Where would
> they normally exit the body and what color should I be looking for?

Can't answer any of these since my 66 didn't have any of the appropriate
wiring.

> 6. Finally, does anyone know of any potential problems with mating this
> ealier LH OD to a later 18V engine? And am I correct in assuming that
> while the engine is out of the car, inspection and possible replacement
> of the clutch would be advisable?

As far as clutch replacement goes, "just do it". Don't even attempt an
evaluation. What's $80-100 compared to pulling the engine again in two
years?

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149